Saturday, April 25, 2009

Week 21

All About Us
Finally this month is almost over! April has been a very busy month for us, by far. We have had either work or out-of-town commitments every weekend in April, which made it a very hectic month for us. The month started out very cold - there was actually a day when it was below freezing. Today, on the other hand, was sunny and HOT as temperatures soared into the 80s. Now I'm not complaining about the weather, but I would have liked to have at least a month in the 70s. Today made me realize what the summer is actually going to be like - hot, sticky, and pregnant. I am by no means a person who wears shorts (other than to run in and sleep in), but I may have to invest in some for this summer. If today is any indicator of how things will be, I would stay clear of this grumpy pregnant lady if I were you! Just kidding!
We got some very good news at the Dr's office this week. The results from the quad screening I had done - which is able to predict if it is likely that the baby will have a developmental disorder like spinobifida or down syndrome - came back as "no increased risk." That was music to our ears!
Go Bananas!

Of course I am going to dedicate most of this week's blog to you, my dear! We fell in love with you at first sight this past Wednesday. Daddy and I were extremely anxious all day to see your beautiful face at the Dr's office. We could have never imagined all the emotions we were going to feel as we saw your entire body for the first time. It was an emotional roller coaster - we laughed, we cried, and we got nervous as the Ultrasound Technician checked out your vital organs and counted your fingers and toes. We had nothing to worry about, though, as she referred to your heart as "beautiful" and said that your brain was developing very well (I told her it must be from the fish oil I am taking every morning!). You were weighing in at a healthy 14 ounces and I was told that all of those ounces were sitting pretty directly on top of my bladder, which would explain why it sometimes feels like my bladder is being used as a trampoline. Also, we got to see you yawn, kick, and move your hands and arms around. Your profile definitely showed that you are a product of mommy and daddy. You have nice, full lips and of course, our lovely Italian nose. When we first saw you, you were sitting half Indian style - one leg was sticking straight out and the other was crossed. This made it very difficult to determine your gender. The Ultrasound Tech did a lot of poking and had me cough to get you into a position where she could definitely tell what gender you were. When you finally spread your legs for her, it was clear to both her and us what name we could officially start calling you! By next week at this time, the word will be out and you will be hearing your name from people other than just Daddy and me. Our lips are sealed until then!



In terms of your development this week, your taste buds are working overtime as you drink in the amniotic fluid. I was advised by many articles to start eating what I would like you to have a taste for when you enter this world. Needless to say, you will love Italian food! And of course I'm eating the good stuff, too, like fruits and vegetables. Your movements are becoming more coordinated because of your neuron development and the fact that most of your cartilage is turning to bone. That would explain why I feel you move a lot more these days! Well, little one, it was such a blessing for us to see you for the first time this week - a wait that was definitely worth-while. Strap yourself in for this coming week as we count down to our big run next Saturday. Your Daddy and Mommy love you dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment