Sunday, May 3, 2009

Week 22 - A Victory for Team Lidia!

All About Us


The secret is out. We are having a baby girl and could not be more excited! Her name is Lidia Louise. It seemed like you all really liked the name Stella, as it showed on the blog poll. But there was one small problem with the name Stella - Jason hated it. So after much consideration, we agreed that Lidia would be the perfect name for our little girl. And even though I grew up hating my middle name, it has become such an important part of me and I couldn't imagine our first born girl with any other middle name. I am just so happy that I can start using the pronoun "she" instead of "it" now! A secret holder I am not, so keeping this in was very hard for me. I knew that it would be well worth it in the end, though! You see, it was this moment that kept me training instead of giving up and succumbing to the traditional role of a pregnant woman. I pictured Jason and I with our shirts on, crossing that finish line with our cheering section and their "Team Lidia" shirts. While our cheering section ended up only being 2 people, it was the best cheering section for which we could have asked. Now, let me bring you all back to the start of the race.


I was on edge, to say the least. While Jason and I have ran 2 5k races before, this one was different. There were many factors that tied into the major anxiety that plagued me as soon as I woke up that morning. First of all, this race was huge. Not only were the number of contestants around 2,000, the build-up to the race was enormous. Part of that could be because I told just about everyone I knew that we were running it. My reasoning behind that was because the more people I told, the more obligated I was to continue training and actually make it to the race. Another anxiety-related factor were the hills. I have been known to get extremely fatigued going up A hill - so knowing that I had hills plural scared me to death. Finally, the past 2 races we ran, I had been on my anti-anxiety medicine. For obvious reasons, I had weaned myself off of this before Jason and I started trying for a baby. So I no longer had that medicine as a crutch. The worst part of the race was the 5 minutes before we started. I almost literally crapped my pants! I just wanted to start running - instead there was a countdown and music and mass people all around me just acting crazy. Then relief came. The gun shot off and the crowd finally started moving. As soon as Jason and I started running, I knew that I was going to finish the race. I had no injuries (I had to take it easy the week prior due to shin splints) and I had a surge of energy. Knowing that Jason was right there beside me was like my natural anti-anxiety medicine. So we ran - and we ran up the hills and through the crowds of cheering fans. We ran around the walkers and joggers and witnessed someone fall, but pick himself up, right in front of us. There wasn't one second where I felt like I needed to stop and walk. I later told Jason that I thought I could have ran 3 more miles on pure adrenaline alone. As we came upon Pete Rose Way, I knew that we were almost finished. I picked up the speed and as we approached the finish "swine" I couldn't help but hold back tears. My parents were right there, wearing their "Team Lidia" shirts with their cameras ready to catch Jason and I as crossed the finish line at 33 minutes and 49 seconds. Not my best time, but definitely one of the best goals I have ever met. My mom was very proud to say that I was the first pregnant woman to cross the finish line, so that alone was worth it! And I couldn't have done it without my key people - Jason by my side, my parents waiting for us at the finish line, our other family and their motivating words, my friend Cindy who has known about this goal of mine since day 1, and most importantly - our sweet little girl Lidia, to whom this race was dedicated.







Popping Papaya
And what a popping papaya you are as I can feel you move like crazy! Last Sunday, an amazing moment happened. While I have been able to feel you wiggle around for weeks now, your Daddy actually got to feel you move for the first time. Although we don't know if it was a kick or a punch, it was definitely you - and you definitely scared him (but in a good way!). Your movements just amaze me. It makes me so extremely happy to feel you on the inside, as well as put my hand on the outside and feel you that way, too. I can almost predict now when I am going to feel you. Lately you've been shy when I try to get Daddy to put his hand on my tummy and feel you move, but I'm sure that you will come around. You are most definitely over a pound now, since at our last Dr's visit you were 14 ounces. I will have to say, most people, including your mommy and daddy, were very surprised that you were a girl. I had a couple of the traditional girl pregnancy symptoms, but definitely more traditional boy symptoms. For example, I'm carrying low, out in the front, craving meats and cheese, didn't get too sick in the first trimester, and eating like a teenage boy - all boy symptoms. For the traditional girl symptoms, I have the acne and have had dreams that I was going to have a boy (as did daddy). So to be honest, it took your daddy and I about a day for it to sink in that you were actually a girl. This is by no means a bad thing! I love little baby girls and I know that you are going to get Daddy in a way that a boy never could. You are going to be our little princess, the apple of our eyes! We have already talked about what we want you do when you get old enough. Daddy wants to get you started on soccer and I want to get you into gymnastics and piano lessons. Of course, you will end up being your own person with your own interests. Which according to the meaning of your name, you will be funny and cute!

In terms of your development this week, you are just growing and growing! Your senses are developing rapidly. Apparently, if I point a flashlight towards my stomach, you will be able to see this, even though your eyelids are still fused shut. For some reason, that just seems cruel to me - so no worries! I won't be shining a flashlight in your eyes. Your daddy and I have been reading books to you since you can hear us now. Your favorite right now is a Dr. Seuss book called Mr. Brown can Moo, Can You? And we know it's your favorite because Daddy and I sound very goofy as we read it. I am a little upset that the Web site I use for your fruit of the week has now started lumping the fruit into 4-week periods. What am I going to do next week? I will have to find my own way of comparing you to produce. Lidia...it is so sweet to be able to call you by name, our little one. We are truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment