Sunday, February 1, 2009

Doin' Fine in Week Nine

All About Us

I must not hold back my current feelings. HERE WE GO STILL'RS, HERE WE GO! The Pittsburgh Steelers just won their 2nd Superbowl in 4 years and I am ecstatic. Jason and I chose to stay home by ourselves to watch this game, as I haven't been feeling well lately. I wouldn't have rather been anywhere else. My husband, a die-hard Bengals fan, hung up his Boomer jersey and cheered with me through the entire game. He was just as nervous as I was in the 4th quarter when the Steelers were down by 3. Picture me in my Big Ben jersey clutching my terrible towel and Jason on the edge of his seat. Then finally, Ben hit Santonio and the rest is history. I feel extremely connected to the Steelers since Ben has been quarterback because he is from Ohio and he is our age. He is the man! God bless him and the Pittsburgh Still'rs!!
Moving on, this week has been anything but ordinary. First of all, Cincinnati had its most intense winter storm since I have lived here. 6 inches of snow followed by 1 inch of ice topped off with another 4 inches of snow. I was happily left jobless for 2 days out of the week. While I was getting a little stir-crazy after the 2nd day, I was happy to have extra time to spend with my husband. Since he runs a health club, he really didn't get time off because he was the one calling all the shots. The puppies were not happy about the snow and ice which is why they made their potty trips outside super-fast. Many trees in our backyard were weighed down with the snow and ice. One large branch almost went through our bedroom window. Jason got out his big guns and tore the branch down so it wouldn't beat against the window and keep me up for the 2nd night in a row. My car got stuck once in our parking lot and Jason and a mysterious man pushed me out. Other than that, it was quite beautiful. The next day when the sun came out, the picture of the sun glistening on the iced tree branches was breath-taking.




Another interesting factoid this week was that we actually got to see a Doctor on Friday. Woohoo! I decided to call around and get an idea of when other practice's Doctors like to see their pregnant patients. Well, it turns out 12 weeks is not the standard norm. I spoke with a woman from a practice called For Women. This practice is made up of 7 women OB/GYNs and they would prefer to see their patients starting at 8 weeks. I was quick to jump on the first available appointment, which was the next day. Jason was a little hesitant, being that he is not one for change. He knew, however, that I would feel much more relieved to actually see a doctor. So onward we went to our first, real, Dr's appointment. Much care was taken with us - we were treated like real people and were congratulated. Then the Dr. came and talked with us and answered all of our questions. Yes, I can still keep dying my hair; No, it won't hurt the baby if Angelo steps on my abdomen; Yes, I can continue exercising as much as I was before I got pregnant. She didn't put any constraints on how high my heart rate could get. Best of all, she did a pelvic exam on me and said that everything is as it should be - uterus is growing and cervix is closed. I felt like we left a new couple. We were more relaxed and excited about the future. Our scary-time (miscarriage likeliness) is getting shorter and shorter. We were assured that at the next appointment, on February 25, we would get to hear our baby's heartbeat. The thought of that brought tears to my eyes.
I know that this is getting rather lengthy, but I thought I would share how I am actually feeling. I have been getting ill at night, usually starting around 4 or 5 o'clock. Trying to fend off vomiting, I have been heading for bed around 9:30 every night. I wake up and I feel fine - not great, but fine. Nausea has been one of my biggest perils during this pregnancy. That is, until a case of chicken pox hit me. OK, I don't really have chicken pox, but I have so much acne people look at me and think I'm in junior high. Also, as I'm moving along in my pregnancy I feel like I have had a couple situations in which I can provide advice to other women who may be in my shoes. For instance, if you find that things aren't "moving along" as quickly as you would like, don't couple Taco Bell with a Stool Softener. You may find yourself on the toilet at 2 a.m. for a half-an-hour.
Olive You!




Hey buddy, you are now the size of a medium olive! I don't really see much size difference from a large raspberry to a medium green olive. You are now a full inch in length and have moved from being referred to as an embryo to a fetus. Your brain keeps developing like crazy and tiny muscles are beginning to form. Apparently, I will be able to feel movements from you in just another month.
Like I wrote earlier, your Daddy and I will be able to hear your heartbeat at our next Dr's visit. I want you to know that this will be the best day of our lives - that is, until you are born. Hearing your heartbeat will make it extremely real for us. You haven't grown so much that people can actually tell that you are in my belly, so it's still hard to believe that there is a human growing inside of me. You have given me a lot of pregnancy symptoms, though, but I promise you I won't hold that against you later in life. You are the light in our eyes already. Daddy says he loves you!


No comments:

Post a Comment