Thursday, January 1, 2009

Introduction

Hi! This blog is intended for two audiences: 1) Our friends and family; and 2) Our baby. Yes, by this sentence you have learned that Jason and I are expecting a baby. Expecting it to do what, you ask? Smiling, I ask that question because many are unaware that we were even trying. When some may find out, they may outwardly or inwardly question, "Was this planned?" Our succinct response is a resounding "yes!" While it was a surprise in that we thought it would take a lot longer, we had been praying for it since we decided to start going at it. While I won't succumb you to the details of what "going at it" actually means, I will fast-forward to the day we found out.

The night before, Jason and I had decided to go get a pregnancy test. I was 2 days late for my period, which didn't alert me to anything unusual because the previous month I was 6 days late. Personally, I wanted a definite answer to the question, "Can I have a couple (three, four, five) drinks on New Years Eve?" We then went to Walgreen's and the sight of a sale on Clear Blue Easy Digital caught my eye. The results were in the words "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant." Words were more reassuring to me than plus or minus signs. In addition, I had used the three pack the month before, all which resulted in "Not Pregnant," so I knew that they were reliable. With our handy FSA card, we casually bought the package of three. Jason and I decided that I wouldn't take one until New Years Eve Day, which was 2 mornings away.


Well, needless to say, the next morning I woke up and wanted to take one. "What's one day?", I thought. So while Jason was taking the dogs out for their morning pee, I was peeing on a stick. Exactly one minute later our lives changed forever. I flushed the toilet, almost positive to see a "Not Pregnant" as I glanced over at the test. However, when I looked over, I saw something very different. My breath was taken away and I felt like I was watching myself on a movie. The test read "Pregnant" and I immediately started chanting, "Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh." I ran downstairs and as Jason was walking in with the dogs, my chanting greeted him along with the test. Initially, he heard the rush of water from the flush of the toilet and thought that I had caused some kind of plumbing mishap (which very well could have been the case). Then, he looked at the test, joined me in my chant, and we started to hug and cry. We were excited, scared, and nervous, but mostly excited. We wondered how accurate the test was. I was sure there couldn't ever be a false positive unless I was on some sort of medicine or had some kind of condition, as the test measures a hormone only found in pregnant women. There was only one way to find out. After the second test I peed on was positive, it was positive in our minds that in 8 months, we would be welcoming the joy of our lives into this world. (I might add that a third test was taken the next day - can you guess what the digital reading was?)



My question was answered - No drinking on New Years Eve! We are full of joy, anticipation, and feel truly blessed by the good Lord above for answering our prayers. We hope that you follow us on this roller coaster of a journey that is pregnancy. While many of you will not begin reading this for months to come, I hope that you can be entertained and informed by our story from day one. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment