Saturday, January 3, 2009

5th Week

All About Us


Welcome to our 5th week! The pregnancy idea is sinking in one day at a time. It doesn't feel completely real yet, but it has us thinking of things we weren't thinking of a month ago. This morning I spoke to Jason about possibly needing a new car. It's hard enough getting things out of his backseat, let alone a baby. A topic that will for sure be revisited soon. Also, last night we spent some time on http://www.care.com/. This site has a listing of babysitters/nannies who post their profile in hopes of finding job. We perused the list and found a couple that we liked, but again, this is a topic that can be revisited at a later time. We are hoping for someone that can come to our house and watch our baby. We would only need her for 5 hours a day, 4 days a week, which is why we are straying from daycare. Fortunately, our jobs overlap in a way that we would only need a babysitter for 20 hours a week. The hard part will be finding someone that we actually trust. Hey Momma, ever think of moving to Cincinnati? :) Or maybe we need to move to T-county!


I have been weary of exercising lately, something that I didn't want to happen. I have been partaking in moderate exercise like walking, but nothing heavy like running or working hard on the elliptical. The day I found out, I went to the gym and ran. I checked my heart rate and it was over 140, something that you are not supposed to let happen. I was very bummed because I rely on cardio for my mental and physical health. The big picture then hit me, and I decided that moderate exercise is better than none. So I will be taking it easy for the next 8 months - don't you worry mom!


In the past couple of days, we have told our close family and friends. Most of the reactions were filled with excited screams, hugs, and many congratulations. We had to swear them all to secrecy before we make the big announcement, which will hopefully be around week 8, after we hear baby's heartbeat at the Dr.'s office.



As for the actual physical symptoms of pregnancy, I have gotten lucky so far, and pray to God that it will stay that way. I have had a pounding headache everyday coupled with menstrual-like cramps, though not as severe. I have read that this is due to the uterus stretching and growing to make a cozy space for our little apple seed.



Apple Seed

Right now, baby is the size of an apple seed, according to http://www.thebump.com/. I've seen it referred to as a grain of rice in, The Joy of Pregnancy, and an orange seed in, What to Expect When You're Expecting. The term, "Apple seed" seemed to fit with me better. Jason and I have been doing a lot of reading lately. After I read a month, then he reads it too. I made him stop at 3 supermarkets to find the book, What to Expect When You're Expecting, but none of them had it. I finally had time yesterday to go to Border's and get it. We have learned so much already from it! It's interesting to know that our baby's heart is already formed and beating. Wow! Baby's neural tube is formed, which will eventually become baby's spinal cord and brain. I read where baby looks like a tadpole right now. Tune in next week to find out what our little apple seed is up to! (Graphic thanks to http://www.thebump.com/).

No comments:

Post a Comment