Sunday, August 16, 2009

37 Weeks = Full Term Baby!

All About Us


As we near the end of this journey, I have a need to look back on everything that we have been through. There have been close to 40 blogs written, each documented the many lessons learned. At the start of this pregnancy, I was a blank slate. Having taken many child development classes in the past, no book or lecture could have prepared me for what I was about to go through for the next 9 months. Of the lessons learned, I compiled a list of the 10 most important lessons learned:


10) Not all pregnancy symptoms are by the book. My first clues to being pregnant were menstrual cramps and massive headaches - none of which were on the list of early pregnancy symptoms. Always trust your instincts over what a book may tell you.


9) Always eat. No matter how sick I was in the first trimester, I always ate. Whether it was watermelon, White Cheddar Cheez-Its, or toast, my body needed food. I learned to eat whatever sounded "OK." Even though it didn't make me feel better, I think it at least made it so I didn't feel worse.


8) Don't be afraid to exercise. I was, at first. If you read the books, they will all tell you to exercise, but with certain restrictions. I was healthy, so there was no need for me to exercise with restrictions. I listened to my body and my body said keep going, so go I did. I strongly believe that is why I have been able to stay within a healthy pregnancy weight gain (we all know I haven't been shy with the ice cream and cake (and pizza, and french fries, and..!).


7) Look forward to dates. Having different activities going on throughout my pregnancy helped break up the time so I didn't go absolutely crazy. I would highly recommend planning at least one new activity every week.


6) Don't compare yourself to other pregnant women. Even though my sister is at about the same stage in pregnancy I am, our pregnancies have been very different. You would think sisters would have equal pregnancy symptoms due to the genetic link, but that is not true. My pregnancy is my own - very unique and individual.


5) Don't be afraid to call the doctor. I never wanted to be one of those women whose doctors' office secretaries cringed whenever they heard who was calling. But it was amazing what fears were non-existent when the need to protect my baby came into the picture. I learned to adopt the attitude of "who cares what others think," which in turn gave me piece of mind. While I have only called the doctor's office with questions 5 times during my pregnancy, I may have never if I let my pride get in the way.


4) You don't have to take other people's advice. Becoming pregnant, I realized that many people wanted to become my OB as they dispensed medical advice like they had a M.D. behind their name. From the dental hygienist who told me that I was killing my baby's brain cells by drinking diet pop, to the many people who try to convince me to give birth with medication, I have realized that the only thing they are dispensing is their opinions. People will voice their opinions whether you ask or not. I have learned to smile and nod, except in the case of the dental hygienist. There's only so far I let people go with their opinions. Then it is my responsibility to stick up for myself and my baby.


3) Pamper yourself. Pedicures, massages, shopping sprees. All these were needed to reward myself for being completely selfless for 9 straight months.


2) Eat nutritiously. Yes, I have blizzards and McFlurrys. But, I always make sure I have my daily servings of fruit, vegetables, protein and carbs. It's not just my health I'm worried about - it's my baby's health. Everything I put in my mouth goes to her. So while she may get a sugar rush, she's also getting the good stuff, too. And crazy as it is, I have never been this healthy in my entire life. I have had 1 sickness this entire pregnancy when usually I am sick close to 5 times a year. My parents can affirm that!


1) I wouldn't have had such a smooth pregnancy without my support person. Jason, my husband, has been an absolute angel throughout this entire pregnancy. He has been present for nearly every dr's appointment and every birthing class. He has given me massages just about every single night. He doesn't do everything I ask him to - he senses what I need and does it without me even asking. I truly believe that he has such a pure and holy soul. I have never met anyone as caring and selfless as he. We all know how much I adore this man!

All in all, I believe I have had a very smooth pregnancy. Jason and I have savored every moment - from the very first positive pregnancy test, to the first ultrasound, to our baby bash. This pregnancy has been a life-altering experience for us in more ways than one. My blank slate is now filled with information to bring with me to my next pregnancy...and the one after that...and the one after that:)

Our Little Italian Bun!

You're almost done cookin' baby girl! I cannot believe that we are already at this point where you can be born and considered full-term. We had an amazing doctor's appointment this past week. The Dr. let your daddy and I know that you are very close to making your arrival. Mommy is 1 1/2 cm dilated and 25% effaced. You are still head down, thank God! The doctor estimated that if you were to go to 40 weeks, you wouldn't be more than 7 pounds. This is good news to us, as it means that labor and delivery won't be as difficult. The term no pain, no gain has taken on a whole new meaning for us. I actually want to be completely miserable with labor and delivery - that is how nature intended it! It will make seeing and holding you for the first time that much better.


I am still amazed at how much you are moving and growing. Your lungs are now completely mature. So apparently it is up to you now when you want to arrive. Mommy would prefer you come very soon, but you come when you're ready dear. Mommy is not really happy with the 2 people who voted that you will be a week late. Don't make me wait that long! Your daddy and I are so excited to meet you, we almost can't take it anymore. Until then, we will be here cleaning and biding time. Will there be a 38 Weeks blog next week? It's not so certain anymore!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, what beautiful "prose" you have been writing! We are hopeful that this journey you, Jason and Lidia have been on will soon come to a very happy and memorable conclusion. We too are so anxious to see "our" little Lidia. Love dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete